Sunday 30 March 2008

Sketch Doodle ideas for character.





































These are some doodles for ideas for the character, on his form and his actions. I'm using red curly hair here purely because that was the hair colour of the character given to me in the roughs Tony showed me.

The pig, Isreali and the boy in a dinosaur costumes are side characters I'm thinking of.

I'm finding it difficult to proceed beyond the point of just doodling the character doing random things because by default, the character lacks alot of definition and it's really difficult to tell what direction if any is a correct one.
I mean, alot of the drawings I've done here show 'Ronnie' (working name) with a very elasticated kind of body, showing explosive random potential through his form, with a sock puppet which he talks to so.. there is a 'random' mania element there or as some kind of goblin or animal or popular cultural icon like Shakespeare. The seperate elements on their own might be amusing and all but it's bloody difficult trying to pin him down. What I'm suspecting from alot of these drawings is that the character would end up being some screaming deranged mess which would satisfy the quota of being random I guess.
THIS kind of random:



Who knows, a completely manic character might work. But I would wager that the show it starred in would need a couple of other characters to counter and contrast it's personality. You know, like the genie from Disney's 'Aladdin'?. His character is built around the comedy style that Robin Williams is good at; fast paced schtick that changes direction constantly through various voices and impressions of personalities.


My guess is that without the blander personality types to distill 'Genie' through out the film, you would lose interest in him quicker.

No comments: