Tuesday 18 March 2008

Zombies!


Zombies are awesome.

Its for this very reason that I'm quivering with excitement as I tentively consider the live brief I'm about to undertake. My programming friend Owen and I have been talking about making a zombie game based on survival for about half a year now and I've finally found a space of time in which to do something for it.

The game is Owen's idea and originated as a version of the 'popular' boardgame 'Zombies!' in which players fight for survival, escape or just pure bloodlust in a city that is rapidly filling with hordes of the living dead. The model he's considering has changed from this I think; he mentioned it had other elements which differenciated the board game from this idea significantly so I'll have to check up on him with it.

Anyway, Owen has OK'd me to work on the game's art concepts for this brief and has given me a style that he'd like to be inspired and brought into the artwork in someway; that in the ways of flat vector games like Loco Roco and Patapon with their block colours and curved, simple shape forms.




My initial thought on this is one of interest as this is a pretty interesting mix of content and style. I need to know more about Owen's ideas on the mechanics of the game before I get really really far with say, modelling the characters for actual game use but for now, I'm going to try and mix these two ideas together and see what comes out.

So first, I need to:

-Look at how others have done Zombie Games/Zombies in other formats
-Look at the zombie survival cult in general (Skimming back over survival guide etc)
-Really look at Loco Roco/Patapon's Mise-en-scene and other vector games
-Knock out some sketches and colour selections!
-Make a rationale for further progress after showing Owen what I've got so far.

No comments: