Friday 21 March 2008

Zombie Survival Wiki and some more games

Yeah. There's a wiki exclusively dedicated to zombie survival; full of theories on escape when the inevitable comes and everything you can do to prepare yourself to be ready for the big Z.

Here is the main site with links to anything you'd want to know on the how-to of zombie survival such a zombie education, gear and weapons to use and the exact science (?) of how zombies come about.

The page that interested me the most was the zombie games page which has lots of links to various zombie games of varying genre; survival and co-operation based to more shooting orientated. Here are some of the more noticeable examples:

URBAN DEAD

Urban Dead is a free-to-play browser-based multi-player game where you play the survivor or victim of a zombie outbreak in a quarantined city centre, alongside tens of thousands of others.

Although it is a browser-based game and lacks alot of visual lovlieness, Urban Dead seems to have a strong idea of the kind of game I think I'm involved in. This is what the creators meant by browser-based if you didn't pick up on that. So its a very text heavy affair. However, the game gives you the option of being one of several kind of survivors or victims of a recent zombie apocolypse, then based on the role you chose gives you an objective such as heal civilians or find your friend etc. The game is also an MMORPG which means that it is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game so the decisions of others can and will effect whether or not your character's survival! Compelling.

So I made a character for myself and chose the medic class so that I would have something to heal myself when I inevitably got bitten. Ho ho! Smart thinking.

The game works on a turnbased sort of play so you take an action then your opponent does and so on. You're given action points which are expensed on actions (suprisingly) from tuning your radio to hitting a zombie with a crowbar.

After starting outside a hospital, I entered the building and found it full of people who wern't saying much, so I made my excuses and left to search adjacent buildings for somewhere to rest when I logged off. The instructions for the game had told me that it was my initial perogative to secure a position like this lest I be eaten in my sleep so I off I went searching. Most of the buildings close by had been heavily barricaded by users but I found an old factory with an open window. BUT OH NO! there was a zombie outside! So I began hammering the -use pistol- button until I'd expended all 6 of my rounds, only to find they'd all gone stray of their target. 'Modern firearms indeed!' I muttered to myself then promptly went for it old school for a round of fisticuffs with the undead bugger. This I could do and landed a hit for 2 points of damage! Sucess! 2 that is, out of 60. And then the zombie promptly took 4 bites out of me and infected me.
So I ran inside, healed myself with my only first aid kit and logged off.

I think this game has alot of potential influence on what we're trying to do indeed. This is at least the sort of thing I envisioned being possible in our game.

ZOMBIE SIMULATOR

A neat little program, this 'zombie simulator' shows a randomized plane of dots and squares representing a city and its inhabitants. Then, it adds 4 green dots which begain rapidly assimilating the other dots until there are no 'human' dots left.

Quirky idea, its not really a game but more of an entertaining piece of code to watch a few times.

DEAD FRONTIER

Play Dead Frontier Night Three

This is another shoot-em-up style game but it has a bit of a gritty feel to it and so I felt deserved a special mention. This is a top-down game like the original grand theft auto series and kind of plays like that loosely. You move with the WASD keys and use a mouse to aim and fire whichever weapon you are holding at the suprisingly sturdy and thus frightening zombies that invade the streets as you make your way to the helipad.

OK enough zombie games for now.. there are literally hundreds and I need to do some real drawing before meeting with Owen 0.0 Don't want to be empty handed :P!

No comments: